Are you a lead electrical systems design engineer with extensive experience of designing complex mechatronic systems?
Are you a chartered engineer with an electronic / electrical engineering or technology degree?
If so, we are seeking a Lead Electrical Systems engineer, responsible for leading the electrical engineering aspect of the refurbishment of the remote handling equipment used to inspect, service and repair the world leading experimental fusion reactor located at Culham Science centre (JET).
You will be responsible for the technical leadership of a team of electrical engineers and technicians. You will help create the functional requirements and specify systems architecture and component choice.
You will be technically responsible for the design, build, integration and commissioning of the refurbishment project.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is a business unit, based at Culham, specialising in remote handling and automated systems. We design, deliver and operate remote handling solutions for extreme environments using the latest technologies in robotics and automation.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
- Providing specialist and in-depth technical knowledge to RACE projects and remote handling systems.
- Delivering electrical design and implementation work packages to budget and schedule, maintaining high quality standards.
- Developing system requirements in collaboration with other project engineers and delivering robust solutions to meet the agreed requirements.
- Evaluating designs, reviewing the compliance with UKAEA procedures, establishing the acceptance tests and writing commissioning plans.
- Authorising and signing off major project activities/milestones/reports relating to Remote Handling systems, ensuring quality and consistency of deliverables.
- Producing electrical systems specifications for large complex remote handling systems.
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the Organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits, please download the application pack.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Chartered Engineer
- Electronic/Electrical degree
- Substantial experience of designing complex mechatronic systems
- Ability to work with project stakeholders to resolve technical conflicts and proactively solve problems
- Ability to deliver highly complex engineering projects from cradle to grave
- Understanding of governance, H&S and compliance issues
Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received
- Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role, please discuss with the hiring manager or HR if you have any concerns