|Recruiter:||Uk Atomic Energy Authority|
|Salary:||£45543 - £50936 per annum|
|Description:||Lead Mechanical Design Engineer|
Lead Mechanical Design Engineer
Permanent, Full Time
£45,543 - £50,936 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
8th May 2020
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) is a business unit, based at Culham, within the UK Atomic Energy Authority specialising in remote handling and automated systems. As part of the global programme for fusion, RACE is developing remote handling systems for the next generations of power stations.
RACE is also at the centre of the UK effort to apply novel technologies to all challenging and harsh environments for the protection of people and advancement of industry. RACE designs, procures commissions, operates and maintains the wide range of equipment that is used for the maintenance and implementation of enhancements of the JET Tokamak and is active in the design and development of remote maintenance systems used in ITER and DEMO fusion reactors.
We are seeking mechanical design engineers to design, develop, commission, test, maintain and operate tools and equipment for these remote handling operations.
The main responsibilities of the role will include:
- Creation and design of effective remote handling mechanical robotic devices and tooling, from concept through systems specifications to detail designs
- Supervision of engineers and draughts people to maintain high design standards and integrate design work
- Liaison with customers to report on project progress and to agree priorities
- Drive and complete complex design activities within the allotted time and with high efficiency, and ensuring designs are compliant with the correct design files
- Lead and manage the maintenance, diagnosis and repair of existing UKAEA and JET systems
- Managing the acceptance, testing and commissioning of complex remote systems
At UKAEA, we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the Organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading-edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience in mechanism design and actuator selection
- Experience in design substantiation analysis using hand calculation and finite element techniques
- Competent in generating technical documents and specifications
- Experience in using a 3D CAD system
- Ability to work as part of a larger team or group
- Membership of a Professional Engineering Institution would be beneficial
- Engineers will be required to travel and work offsite in support of RACE project responsibilities
Selection Methods and Notes:
- As part of the selection process, you may be expected to complete work-based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.
- Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/89867614