Job Description for Senior Project Manager Site Lead - Windscale:
NNL is where your project management helps deliver our purpose. As part of our Project Management Authority, you’ll play a critical role in managing projects that deliver nuclear science to benefit society. Your project management skills and attention to detail will enable industry-leading scientists, engineers and analysts to work together to deliver unique projects using cutting edge technology. It’s a challenging role but it’s an opportunity to grow, adapt and develop new skills in a fast-moving area.
Part of the PMA senior lead team ensuring senior project delivery leadership responsible for ensuring the safe and secure delivery of project through the project life cycle, to time, cost and quality to achieve customer satisfaction; and the provision of management oversight of local project delivery team activities; utilisation; performance; and line management duties for Senior Project Managers.
Main Responsibilities for Senior Project Manager Site Lead - Windscale:
- Delivery of projects in a safe manner to the specified functional criteria, goals, and objectives compliant with all relevant Client, NNL, regulatory and legal assurance requirements.
- Development; maintenance, and management of Project Execution Procedures, and control documentation in line with the NNL ‘PMA project delivery framework’ to ensure that all work is delivered within approved project baseline; scope; cost; schedule, and quality constraints, and in a safe manner.
- Maximise NNL’s performance against internal NNL OKRs & customer KPIs.
- Ensure the CWL interface with customers with respect to matters relating to potential new work opportunities, and the delivery of contracted work, ensuring that agreed communications and reporting methodologies are in place and working efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure adequate Health Safety & Security (HS&S) supervision is in place at all times in all locations where work is being carried out, and that Nuclear Safety is not compromised.
- Ensure the timely preparation of relevant ‘health and safety’ related documentation for projects, and promote a health & safety aware culture.
- Engagement and management of a competent, effective and integrated Project Team, including management oversight , motivation and monitoring of the team’s performance; quality assurance; and addressing areas of under-performance.
- Provision of leadership; coaching, and support to other project team members as required.
- Application of knowledge of all aspects of a project (engineering, procurement, quality control, etc.) to oversee the successful execution of the project plan.
- Establishment of clear and robust communications and meeting strategies to ensure effective communication across the project team and key stakeholders; implementing regular reviews and controls to monitor project progress.
- Ensure the timely provision of accurate and timely information and reports regarding the project status, activities and performance, both in terms of work activity and financial performance.
- Ensures that change control processes and procedures are fully understood by all parties, including customers, and are rigorously enforced as required throughout the project delivery lifecycle.
- Ensuring that financial performance is managed to achieve maximum revenue and profitability of the project.
- Ensuring robust risk management protocols are in place to effectively managed and mitigate project risks to secure the project baseline costs and schedules; creation and maintenance of risk / RAIDS schedules; and the escalation of risks where appropriate.
- Ensure timely support to the bid team into the bid / sales process (for new work) as required, and assisting (when requested) in the preparation and coordination of NNL fee proposals and submissions.
- Management of the Client Satisfaction Survey (CSS) process (via the Customer Experience group); managing feedback and action to; and sharing and implementation of learning from experience (LFE).
- Monitor PMA workload / resources. Within the PMA Lead team develop / manage the agreed resourcing strategy for the PMA.
- Support and enable NNL wide continuous improvement programmes and developments either directly or indirectly.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Criteria for Senior Project Manager Site Lead - Windscale:
- Project Management professional qualification (e.g. APMP, Diploma APM, IPMA Level D) or working towards.
- Extensive experience or equivalent as a Project Manager, or project / programme delivery related experience.
- Demonstrable Project Management skills evidenced by a track record of successfully leading and delivering medium-large scale / complex projects.
- Experience of using accredited project management systems.
- Effective reporting writing experience & strong analytical skills.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite (Incl. MS Word, Excel, PPoint & Project / EPM).
- Ability to understand project scheduling software for the purposes of controlling and monitoring project works, e.g. MS Project, EPM, Primavera P6, etc.
- Demonstrable financial acumen and use of financial monitoring & performance tools / processes.
- Experience of different contracting models, involving the management of commercial risks.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and demonstrable experience of team leadership / mentoring / coaching.
- Ability to obtain SC level security clearance (this includes but is not limited to identity, employment, financial and criminal record checks plus 5 years’ worth of UK residency).
Desirable Criteria for Senior Project Manager Site Lead - Windscale:
- Nuclear project delivery experience in managing the delivery of operational, technical projects or the installation and commissioning equipment.
- Strong understanding of all NNL procedures, tools, protocols and systems.
- Relevant science, engineering or technical background.
About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory