Are you a Mechanical Engineer with a background in design looking to join one of the world’s foremost Engineering and design consultancies? Then this could be the role for you.
We are seeking Mechanical Engineers with a strong background in Engineering to join our Energy team in Derby to support a number of key nuclear workstreams.
As part of our Energy business you will join the delivery team completing Atkins technical projects and programmes on behalf of our clients.
We achieve success by working in close partnership with our clients, by matching our skills to their needs, being flexible, and by using our resources efficiently. Whether we’re delivering high quality engineering and technical services or programme management, we always deliver the solution that’s right for them.
Our team’s work supports a number of key nuclear workstreams including the UK Submarine programme (both in-service and next generation vessels, as well as dockyard equipment and facilities) and high integrity structures for new nuclear establishments. We also deliver work elsewhere in the Energy industry, making use of our strong design and analytical skills and plant knowledge on projects for other clients. Joining our team gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself by getting actively involved in a variety of projects with different clients and industries.
As an engineer within our team, your work will be diverse and challenging and you could be involved in; producing calculations, authoring and updating technical documents, supporting bidding activity and supporting our QA process.
During your early career you will have developed a strong foundation in Mechanical Engineering principles and their application to varied projects/domains and will have a track record of delivering technical solutions in challenging timescales.
You will have produced designs and calculations to demonstrate acceptable performance and authored key technical documentation. You are comfortable working in new and changing environments and have a desire to be challenged and contribute to the success of the business.
With excellent communication skills you are comfortable liaising with, and influencing, your stakeholders at all levels both internally and externally. You work effectively both in project teams and independently (placements at clients’ sites may be required).
You will be used to / comfortable with supporting our Quality Assurance process through review or checking colleagues’ work and presenting your findings / work to clients.
In addition to a strong foundation in Mechanical Engineering principles, you will demonstrate the following;
- Degree-qualified or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline
- Experience in one or more of the following technical disciplines;
- Delivery of technically compliant design deliverables in accordance with the input requirements
- Production of designs and calculations to demonstrate acceptable performance or identify design issues
- Production of key technical documentation – Calculations, Design reports
In addition to the above the following experience / knowledge would be desirable;
- Nuclear industry knowledge and safety case appreciation
- Familiar with working to design codes and industry standards appropriate for a safety critical industry
- Steam-raising power plant and components (pressure vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, valves, pipework etc)
- High integrity mechanical handling equipment (Nuclear defueling/fueling etc.)
- Working towards or obtained chartered Engineer status
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in virtually every region of the world, in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our services in the Energy sector in the UK. As part of a single Energy business, there will be opportunities to develop your skills and experience in the UK working across all our Energy clients and also for international travel as part of the global Energy business.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our staff.
- Although the team is based in Derby, the wider Energy business has locations around the country and opportunities also exist at various client sites. Flexibility on work location and a willingness to undertake secondments to other sites from time to time as required is an important aspect of how we work and we want you to be comfortable with this culture.
Reward & Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Flexible working options will be considered for this vacancy.